[SGVLUG] Breaking news: Ice recalled because it may contain water... (was ... best self v-day gift)

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Thu Feb 14 15:32:02 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Emerson, Tom (*IC)
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> Hey guys -- remember, this is a /family/ oriented group...
>
> That said, I noticed on the news that Sees Candy is recalling
> some "semi-sweet" chocolate chips "because they /may/ contain
> /undisclosed/ traces of milk"

semi-sweet chocolate generally only contains cocoa butter, unsweetened
chocolate, sugar. No Milk. Its used for cooking and is also preferred
by those with Milk allergies and Vegans who choose not to consume
animal products.

> http://consumerist.com/356720/a-chocolate-recall-for-valentines-day
>
> Saying that any non-dark chocolate "may contain milk" is like saying
> "ice may contain water" -- I'm guessing since it wasn't printed
> on the bag, they're finding themselves liable...

That would only be true if there were only two type of chocolate (Milk
and Dark). Which is not true. There are several forms/types of
chocolate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_chocolate.

> (oh, what a world we live in...)
I know its crazy isn't it.