[SGVLUG] [OT] Could use some domain advice

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Feb 12 18:25:30 PST 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of John E. Kreznar
> "Miguel Hernandez" <migtek at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > ... I'd like to get my desired site ...
>
> Do you have to use a name that's already taken?  Why not
> create a fresh one?  Easier and cheaper, I would think.

Now and then you'll run across a "squatter" who snapped up the name and
is holding it for ransom.  In some cases (i.e., trademarked/copyrighted
"names") it is easy enough to request arbitration and prove your "right"
to that name [and that the other guy is a squatter...]; in other cases
either the name is too generic, or is a bit of a stretch to say you have
some sort of exclusivity to the name [in or out of any given context]

I'm personally leery of any website that claims it will "do a search"
for a domain, and somehow it /always/ comes up that the name is taken
(no matter how obscure), "but for a fee..." they'll negotiate a "sale"
between you and the current name holder -- seems way to easy to be a
scam...

> Add some punctuation to the taken name if you like it so much,
> and use that; I think insufficient use is made of allowed
> punctuation in domain names, such as "_" as I recall.

Which only makes it more expensive for the small-time operator as they
then have to buy up not only the "obvious" name, but also several
alternate/unusually-punctuated/whatever domains to ensure nothing
detrimental gets associated with your site -- for instance,
whitehouse.com.  (though per wikipedia, it isn't what it used to be...)

It can also be viewed with a  bit of suspicion that you might be trying
to "phish" users of the current site -- how many people wouldn't think
twice about a site hosted at [www]login_paypal.com? [I'm guessing here
-- haven't used paypal often enough myself as it is...]