[SGVLUG] Free Penetration Testing Mini-Class from SANS

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:38:14 PST 2008

Forwarding this from the uuasc list (figured folks would be interested
here):

<snip>
I just wanted to let the group know that SANS is putting on a free
mini-course on Penetration Testing on their website.  The biggest
complaint I've seen that UUASC folks have with SANS courses is cost
and expectations that courses wouldn't be worth it.  Since this is
free, here is a chance to see if it's hype or truly the greatest thing
since FreeBSD.  They already had one that was booked solid so they
have another scheduled for December 22.  It's free registration, and
the course uses elluminate (JAR application).  This is an excerpt from
the real course, not just a pitch.  The free registration is at:
http://sans.org/athome/details.php?nid=17009

Of course, if you want the whole thing, there is a February session
scheduled in Marina Del Rey, it's about $1,000 cheaper (with a
discount code, just email me off-list for it) and has extra hands-on
excercises you don't get at the big conferences (for example, everyone
creates their own custom USB autorun backdoor).    See
http://sans.org/losangeles09_cs/ for the local info.  You may also
want to apply for the student/workstudy position to bring the costs
down to about $100 per day (http://sans.org/training/volunteer.php).

--
Regards,
Jim Shewmaker

I was able to sign-up so jump on this quick if you´re interested.

enjoy,
--miguel