[SGVLUG] Problems with dual head with KDE 4.1

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 18:22:59 PST 2008

Has anyone gotten dual head to work with KDE 4.1?

I finally got a chance to resume trying out Mandriva 2009 on my
desktop at work but can't get dual head to work using the ATI X300
card.  I can only get the clone view.  tried to use krandrtray but it
doesn't seem to have any effect.    If I enable xinerama, it locks up.
 By default, when I boot Mandriva 2007.1 running KDE 3.5 using ati
drivers, it works fine.

I'm also having problems trying to get this to work on my laptop which
has an Intel video chipset - works fine with either the LCD OR the VGA
output but when I try to use both, I can only clone which doesn't
quite work as the widescreen aspect doesn't work the the 4x3 vga
monitor.   Worked fine with previous installations so it looks like
there's a new bug.

Looking on the web, I see a couple of posts from people saying that
there's a bug in KDE 4 that won't support dual head.  According to the
kde.org website, 4.2 (beta) is suppose to improve support for more
than one monitor.

Actually I did manage to get it partially working at home using an
Nvidia card though I still need to work out the left/right positions.
Why does everything assume the VGA output is on the left and the DVI
output is on the right?  Can't find any settings to swap things.
WinXP drivers are much more flexible.

I'd like to use the newer distros so I'm wondering if I should hold
off for KDE 4.2 (targeted for Jan 27, 2000) or try to build KDE 3.x
from source or what.

claude