[SGVLUG] good free speech "spam" case

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Dec 8 11:19:52 PST 2008

This could have interesting implications -- I have, in the past,
received "unsolicited" e-mails from Congressman Adam Schiff, and clearly
political in nature.  I'm not sure which "ISP" he used to send those
messages (and I'll bet you dollars to donuts it went to EVERY
constituent with an e-mail address "local to" any ISP within his
district...) but by now every public ISP has AUP's in place that limit
"bulk" mail of this sort.

I also receive promotions from my own ISP urging me to upgrade my
connection -- I'm fairly certain I've "opted out" of those messages [and
grumbled about the fact I had to opt OUT in the first place...]

> -----Original Message----- Of matti
>
> this is a good example of free speech being
> stifled by the university administration
>
> Michigan State to student: Political e-mail is spam
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10114646-38.html

[...]