[SGVLUG] Pasadena City PITA Re: Any other local bloggers here?

Stan Schwarz stan at iron.gps.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:55:58 PST 2008

> Curious what happened with this in the end.
>
> Turns out that this sort of demand is fairly
> common from Pasadena City, as another CITer
> has mentioned a similar demand from the city.
>
> 2008/9/4 Stan Schwarz <stan at iron.gps.caltech.edu>
>
>     I have a personal web site and blog at http://1134.org.  A few
>     years ago, I signed up for Google Adsense, and they put about
>     four little text ads on the side of my blog page. Overall, it
>     makes me just about enough money to cover the cost of hosting
>     the site.
>
>     Now the city of Pasadena is claiming that this is a 'home-based
>     business' and saying I have to get a business license and pay

Here's the update:

I wrote them a letter explaining what I do, and I said that I
didn't think it constituted 'doing business' in any meaningful
way. And the wrote back saying that they agreed. So I'm off the
hook.

But I think in the future, as long as the money I make is not
enough to generate notice to the IRS, I'm not going to report
it. This whole thing started because I was trying to be honest
and report the little pittance that I made on the ads. Honesty
seems to be a punishable offense in this case.