[SGVLUG] OT: Case for Coasting (auto efficiency)

bobjaffray at juno.com bobjaffray at juno.com
Thu Aug 14 13:13:12 PDT 2008

BJ: I am interested in practical changes in driving habits for greater
efficiency. David, you refer to coasting. What I want to know is if
you have figures for rolling in idle gear?
BJ: First, I have seen charts that the greatest efficiency according
to most automobile design is between 45-50 mph, and IF I had the
right device could see what that corresponds to in terms of rpms, etc.
And I assume that whatever would approximate that in lower gears
would give the greatest erfficiency for them. But what is the cost
of rolling in idle, since the engine is turning over there _is_ a cost
(compared to coasting). Right?

Bob Jaffray

-- David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> wrote:
I've been intending to write "The Case for Coasting: Energy-efficient
Driving" for years and finally did it.  But alas, no references yet.

http://www.lafn.org/~dave/trans/energy/case4coasting.html

David Lawyer