[SGVLUG] Sweet spot for price/performance for new barebones system?

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:11:50 PDT 2008

Hi Dan,

I just finished rebuilding a computer for my wife.  I didn't get the raging
deal the Matti mentioned, but I was able to choose my components and have my
local computer shop do the integration for me.  I spent 10% more than the
parts I priced at NewEgg, but when things weren't compatible they took them
back at no charge and helped me find the right stuff.

There are a lot of great choices with video cards.  I got my wife one of the
new 24" LCDs and a HD compatible graphics card for under $500 so we can now
watch HD and BluRay on her computer also.

I like NewEgg.com.  They have waived their obnoxious expedite fee when I
have bothered to call and ask for it.  Their reviews have helped me avoid
mistakes a number of times picking out parts that would have been Linux
unfriendly despite the claims on the manufacturer's website.

Matt