[SGVLUG] OT: portable air conditioners

BlankReg BlankReg at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 26 01:18:41 PDT 2008

I have some experience with these models. There was one where I worked. It
worked well to cool a 20 x 20 ft  room with 10 servers going. These models
can blow a lot of cool air for a long time and are reasonably quiet. There
are lots of adjustments for fan speed and thermostat settings through the
remote. The wall mount consists of just the fan and the condensing
equipment. The compressor is housed in a unit connected to the ground on the
outside of the wall. It worked well and appear pretty easy to install. They
simply need anchors to studs to install the wall mount portion and a hole
drilled throught the wall for the condenser hose drain. This is a much
better solution than the old wall mount units that require a rather large
hole in the wall. Dish Restaurant in La Canada has one mounted on a cross
beam in the middle of the main dining room. They have it with a long drain
hose to outside. You don't notice it and it does a good job. I would
recommend this unit if you think it fits the budget. Dish is on Foothill, a
great restaurant by the way.