[SGVLUG] Re: problems reading 2 GB SD card - RESOLVED

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:27:04 PDT 2008

A few weeks ago I mentioned a problem reading 2 GB SD cards on my
older card readers and suspected it was a hardware problem.  At the
meeting, Tom was able to read my card using the built-in SD slot on
his new laptop running Linux but not using his USB card reader.

While looking at the Radio Shack website yesterday I noticed that they
have a 51-in-1 card reader from Sakar, model CR-75 on sale for $13
till 4/26.  What's interesting it that it claims to read SIM cards as
well.  Wife picked it up for me and it just worked under winXP which
is where we need it.  No new drivers required.  It read my existing 1
GB SD cards, the 2 GB card I was having problems with and even the 2
GB microSD in my cell phone.  Brought it in to work with me today and
verified it works fine under Linux at least for the regular cards -
forgot to bring the microSD adapter card.

I did try the SIM slot last night after installing the windoze
software.  Tried a couple of SIM cards but apparently they are PIN
locked and not wanting to risk locking the cards permanently, I tried
guessing a few times w/o success.  Any one have any luck reading SIM
cards?

claude