[SGVLUG] Harddrive Recovery Firms

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:33:37 PDT 2008

IIRC, Spinrite will not recognize drives via USB.  I'm guessing you
only have the one ATA/IDE port in the laptop so you'll have to use
another computer which means you'll need an ATA/IDE to laptop drive
adapter (can't remember what it's called).   Did you try running fdisk
in non interactive mode?

Oh, according to wikipedia, there's a newer version that can read USB
drives and it can run via CDROM.  It's been quite a while since I've
used it so i must have used a really old version.  The article also
mentions a few alternatives you might want to investigate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinrite

claude