[SGVLUG] Why not host at home

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 04:47:11 PDT 2008

Hi,

Personally, the reason I don't is that I can't get
a decent reliable and higher bandwidth connection
to home. (Charles got some really good points...
also remember Power, a good data center will have
backup power.. )

I used to pay $50+/month to dsl extreme, but thru
the course of the contract the quality of my line
which started at 1.5Mbps down went to 600kps...

that combined with having to power cycle the modem
to get it to resync after outages caused it to become
a real pain. (there's ways to get around this, but
it's a bit "micky mouse" i.e. monitor your connection
automatically and then have the system power cycle
your "modem/bridge"

Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T - I've hosted services off their
faster DSL offerings, and noticed that it works
well enough (was the $70-80/month 5ip package.. )
AT SOME locations for things like testing and
non critical services. (and I was always adding
a good backup battery to run at least 15-20min.. )

best
matti