[SGVLUG] FYI - MS Heroes event in Anaheim 4/8 get MS sw w/o paying

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 17:13:24 PDT 2008

Hi,

> This is an example of Microsoft "slick marketing".

isn't all good marketing "slick"?

> By pretending
> that
> what they're giving out is valuable,

actually i do think software can be valuable,
and in this case the software MS is handing
out imho is valuable.

naturally I do believe the Open Source
community has a lot of valuable software also.

> ..they hope the recipient won't
> notice that what's really happening is that he is getting saddled
> with
> new EULA restrictions.

agreed people may have issues with the EULA...
( for those new to EULA, think license terms folks.. )

honestly, no matter how much I would like to, I can't
just work with 100% Open Source products with license terms
I support/agree with.

also, I don't recall anything in the MS EULA preventing
me from contributing to Open Source or using Open Source
independently of MS code.

For me getting MS products in this manner without paying
cash for them is a good value proposition.

I also think that those who propose Linux based solutions
should understand the competing products well enough
to have sound reasoning when they need to inform others
(PHB in particular) of why Open Source vs Other.
(yes, it would be nice to just talk about the
license terms... but that has never been enough in
my experience.)

anyways... I should get back to work now...

best
matti