[SGVLUG] What distro used - SuSE

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Oct 15 14:43:50 PDT 2007

Ditto here -- very early on, I had slackware & freeBSD [because my ISP
at the time used bsd and inadvertantly allowed me "shell" access -- oh,
the plans I had...] then I tried redhat for a while (3 through 5 I
think), and picked up SuSE at the 5/6 juncture (I know I have a SuSE 6.0
disk box around somewhere, not sure if I have a SuSE 5.x box or not...)
While I've always liked the idea that I can "get it for free", it has
(almost) always worked out that I ended up with a "boxed set" for every
release.  This was mostly for my own convenience (the "boxed" set always
had "more" stuff than the download, until Novell took over)

The afternoon of the meeting, I upgraded to 10.3 from a download, so at
least my laptop is current.  My system at home, however, suffered a
power supply meltdown, so the better part of the weekend was spent
getting the "dust" out of my system and replacing the power supply [psst
-- Robert -- the old one is available, no guarantee that it works, or
rather, I'm fairly certain it DOESN'T, but that doesn't mean it can't be
fixed... (whether it can be fixed for less than the price of a new one
is questionable...)]