[SGVLUG] Central place for all socal lugs (from UUASC)

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:36:29 PDT 2007

I'm not sure how many folks are part of the Unix Users Assoc. of Southern
California (UUASC) but figured I should pass this along just in case we can
benefit from it (seems like a great idea).

/SNIP/
<Charles Wyble to uuasc>
Hey all,

       As some of you may be aware, I have been working on creating a
central
site for Southern California open source oriented groups. It has been in
beta for a few months now, and is now fully production ready.

You can find the site at http://www.socallugs.com

It currently offers:

1) A podcast site at http://casts.socallugs.com

I have placed recordings from the LiLAX and UUASC meetings up at this
site. More groups will be represented as I attend them and record the
meetings. If you have any meeting recordings you would like to post,
please let me know and I'll be happy to post them on the site.

2) A media hosting site at http://lugmedia.socallugs.com

A place for presenters to post slides and other material (code,
documentation etc).

3) A blog aggregation site at http://planet.socallugs.com

Feel free to submit your (linux/unix/open source related) blog for
regular aggregation.

Coming Soon:

1) A calendar site at http://calendar.socallugs.com.

Hopefully this can become the definitive reference for open source
events in Southern California. A single RSS feed of events that anyone
can subscribe to from Sunbird, Evolution, Korganizer, iCAL and (dare I
say it?) Outlook.

2) A wiki site at http://wiki.socallugs.com

Feel free to request creation of a wiki for your group. I'll create your
wiki and account and you can have full administrative control over the
wiki. Be secure in the knowledge it is backed up on a regular basis and
is hosted by someone very friendly to LUGS and known by many.

Now you may ask why I am doing this? Well for a few reasons:

1) Shared infrastructure.

Groups have enough work to do scheduling speakers, securing venues,
promoting the group. They don't want to spend time running
infrastructure. The goal of the socallugs site is to provide wiki,
calendar, hosting and other services so that groups can concentrate on
being awesome!

For the most part I want socallugs.com to be a back end site. Hosting
presentation material, media, wiki etc. The individual group sites still
need to exist (I am not offering web site hosting  :)

They can simply have much lower disk space and bandwidth requirements.

2) Search engine optimization

The more content that is hosted at socallugs and the more people that
reference it, the more likely it is that search engines will return that
content earlier in a search.

3) Experience running a "Web 2.0/Community" website.

Yes I am looking for another feather to put in my cap/on my resume  :)

What I need from the groups:

1) Donations.

No not money  :)

Please contact me with podcasts, presentation material etc. I have
plenty of bandwidth and disk space and can effortlessly provision more.

2) (soon) scheduling information. Still figuring out the best way to
handle that and make it as simple and automated as possible.

By the way I want to thank Dan Kegel for his excellent lalugs.org
website! It contains a lot of scheduling and other Linux related
information.

I will be working with him on an integrated scheduling solution. This is
not meant to replace his web site as socallugs.com is about hosting
media,blogs,presentation material etc.

I know several groups have been looking for a better way to handle
scheduling, and lalugs.org is currently the best solution. Hopefully we
can make it even better.

I think thats about it. I will send out another message when the wiki
and calendar launch. Still thinking about the best way to do those.