[SGVLUG] switching eth0 driver

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:28:37 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, John  Jefferson Lowry IV <johnlowry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out your udev rules. There probably is an entry for the old nic that
> reserves the name "eth0". It is going to be somewhere in /etc/udev/, I
> think. On Gentoo it is /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules . Delete
> the entry for the old card.
>

> On 5/29/07, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/29/07, Claude Felizardo <cafelizardo at gmail.com > wrote:
> > > To  minimize downtime of my homeserver (it's more than just a file
> > > server since it collects and publishes the weather data, runs a few
> > > media servers, etc) so I've been installing the latest Mandriva 2007.1
> > > (similar to RedHat) onto a spare drive using a spare machine.  Tried
> > > to swap the boot drive last night but having a problem trying to get
> > > the network card recognized.   Looks like the old install (Mandriva
> > > 2006) was installing the 8139too driver as eth0 but I guess I was
> > > using a different card on the spare machine.  I added the line "alias
> > > eth0 8139too' to /etc/modprobe.conf but I get an error saying device
> > > eth0 not found and it keeps installing an entry for eth1.  Where is it
> > > picking this up?  I've looked all over the place but can't find
> > > anything obvious.  I can't run X on it right now so I can't use the
> > > GUI tools but I do have a text console.  Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > claude
> >
> > I have run it this with a card I had newer kernels have for some
> > reason dropped some pci ids from some of there drivers. I had the
> > problem with a old card when I upgraded the kernel linux would no
> > longer reconized the card.
>
> --
> John Lowry

That fixed it!

On my system, the file is /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules and
what I did was comment out the two entries and reboot and the system
created the proper entry.  I was able to run a quick test of asterisk
to verify the network connection was working but had to reboot using
the original boot disk as I didn't have time to complete the
migration.  Hopefully I'll be able to do that tonight.

What was surprising is the difference between the 2.6.12-12 kernel in
mdk 2006 and 2.6.17-14 with mdv 2007.1.  I wouldn't have expected this
kind of change with a minor release but looking at wikipedia, I see
that there was a change in the way udev worked with the 2.6.13 kernel.
 Just my luck.  I guess I had missed the details as I'd been using
mostly the GUI tools the last few years and hadn't had to do any
network changes via the command line in a while.

Looks like I should toss my 9 year old 1st edition of Linux Device
Drivers which talks about the 2.0 kernel.

thanks again!
claude