[SGVLUG] Random MAC address.

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:00:15 PDT 2007

So I have been building this new server and have run into this issue
where the mac address seems to be different every time the system
reboots. Anyone seen this "feature" in new motherboards it is an
Nforce based AMD dual core board. The even more fun part is the
kudzu(centos 5 system) will see that the mac address has changes
assume that the ethernet card has changed and create a new dhcp based
network config (sense the mac address is different the system would be
a different random ip address on every boot) even if you have put a
static config in place. I disabled kudzu mostly salved that problem.

Anyone have suggestion the bios has a field to enter MAC address and
that does not help. This only really matters because I would like to
wakeonlan this box but sense its mac address seems to be random it
seems almost imposable.