[SGVLUG] switching eth0 driver

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:33:33 PDT 2007

To  minimize downtime of my homeserver (it's more than just a file
server since it collects and publishes the weather data, runs a few
media servers, etc) so I've been installing the latest Mandriva 2007.1
(similar to RedHat) onto a spare drive using a spare machine.  Tried
to swap the boot drive last night but having a problem trying to get
the network card recognized.   Looks like the old install (Mandriva
2006) was installing the 8139too driver as eth0 but I guess I was
using a different card on the spare machine.  I added the line "alias
eth0 8139too' to /etc/modprobe.conf but I get an error saying device
eth0 not found and it keeps installing an entry for eth1.  Where is it
picking this up?  I've looked all over the place but can't find
anything obvious.  I can't run X on it right now so I can't use the
GUI tools but I do have a text console.  Any suggestions?

claude