[SGVLUG] History Lesson wanted...

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun May 20 11:30:45 PDT 2007

David Lawyer wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:40:13PM -0700, Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
>> This is mainly for David Lawyer and anyone else who has been involved
>> with SGVLUG (or SGVLLUG) for a long time [...]
>
> Although you asked that stuff be sent directly to you, I'm posting a
> "history" file that I wrote a couple of years ago to the list.
> There's more that need adding.  Here's my file:

hmmm... actually, I didn't say either way whether this should be to the
list or direct, but both are quite acceptable. :)

> 			David Lawyer
> information about Linux, not as a forum for political, religious, or
> sexual discussion or flame wars.
>
> The mailing lists, web site, and my personal SGVLUG participation have now
> become more of a burden than I am willing to assume.

I don't remember this message myself, but I can see his reasoning and
certainly don't have any quarrel with it.  I vaguely recall he just
stopped coming and I wasn't entirely sure why -- this message clears up
that bit for me, so if nothing else, thanks for remembering it [and
having it an archive to recover it]

[...]
> But later, Mandrake would not let the LUG meet there anymore so the
> LUG meetings moved to 070 Moore Hall at Caltech.  Unable to get this
> room anymore, the LUG moved to 101 Guggenheim in March 2002.

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I recall we were meeting in
(essentially) a "common room" of the various companies in the building
where Mandrakesoft was headquartered.  We lost the use of the room when
the building owner decided to increase revenue by converting the
"common" room into a "cube farm" and renting it out to "one more company..."

As for Moore vs. Guggenheim, basically what happened was that Mike
Rubel, a student there, had access to a "better" presentation room, so
he offered the use of it and we took him up on it.  After he graduated,
however, we no longer had access to the "really good" room, and we've
moved on to our current location in the Downs building.  As far as I
know, we probably could have returned to Moore, and in fact maybe we
should consider it -- the building isn't locked (that I know of) so
access to the room before and during the meeting would be easier.