[SGVLUG] History Lesson wanted...

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat May 19 02:09:28 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:40:13PM -0700, Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
> This is mainly for David Lawyer and anyone else who has been involved
> with SGVLUG (or SGVLLUG) for a long time -- I'd like to put up a
> (potentially evolving) page on the history of our group -- way back from
> where it started in Gunther's garage (or was it his living room?)
> through the days at Fuller and so on.  (the "evolving" part would be
> updated whenever we do something worthy of comment in the future... ;) )

Although you asked that stuff be sent directly to you, I'm posting a
"history" file that I wrote a couple of years ago to the list.
There's more that need adding.  Here's my file:
			David Lawyer
		History of San Gabriel Valley Linux Users Group
			by David S. Lawyer, Jan. 2005

It was founded on Nov. 11, 1995 by Gunther Schleinkofer.  It met in
his small abode in Altadena at 481 Sacramento St.  Attendance was only
a few to several people in his small living room.  There was no
program.  People just sat and talked.  Gunther was the leader.

Then in early 1998?, the group moved it's meetings to Fuller Theological
Seminary at the invitation from IT people at Fuller, one of whom was
Christoph Lamenter (also a student there). The first meetings at
Fuller were around a large table but it soon moved to an auditorium
where speakers presented programs.  Thus the meeting format changed
from informal discussion to presentation.

There was a lot of talk about organizing formally and a Steering
Committee meeting of 11 people was held on 3 Sept. 1998.  No consensus
was reached on how to organize or if we needed to formally organize.
But certain people volunteered for certain tasks (secretary,
publicity, meeting room, etc.).  Craig Zeller was to continue to
provide our website and mailing list and moderate the next 2 meetings.
There exists two different reports on the result of this meeting.
In 1999, Tom Emerson began to moderate meetings.

Then in April 1999, disaster struck the LUG.  Our webmaster, Craig Zeller
wrote;