[SGVLUG] The Day After an Install (Post Install To Do's - Some Meeting Topics)

Greg Stark gstark at electrorent.com
Thu May 17 15:09:50 PDT 2007

I feel BJ has made a valid point.  So here is a quick pass at "The Day After
an Install".  I would like to here what are some of the first things you do
to your box (it's the little things that count.)  Or if your migrating by
doing a fresh install.  How do you get your "stuff" over into the new OS
(How did you skin that cat!)

Greg

Meeting Topics
- Post Install Setting Up Things

    User Desktop Linux
     - Setup a Modem to ISP
     - Getting your Wireless to work (for the newbie)
     - Backup your Linux (Demos a Full backup and Restore)
     - Config auto system updates (YUM or whatever...What are
        repositories, and who can you trust)
     - Config your Firewall
     - Install PGP & x509 certificates (Gen a PGP key, send
        a signed email, sign a file)
     - Getting your Audio to work
     - Burning A CD
     - Config ....

    Server Linux
     - Config DNS
     - Config Apache (Config a vhost, Create and install a
        SSL certificate)
     - Config a Mail service (SendMail or ProcMail), IMAP,...
     - SELinux
     - Config a Database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
     - Config LDAP (Config Load & Use)
     - ...