[SGVLUG] Upcoming speakers & topics

George R Jaffray, Jr bobjaffray at juno.com
Wed May 16 18:30:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:54:26 -0700 "Greg Stark" <gstark at electrorent.com>
writes:
> Ok,
>
> [Snipe]
>
> > > BJ: I think we would get more people if we had a greater variety
> of
> > > presentations for people at all levels. I have talked to a
> > number of
> > > people and found that they say that much of what is presented
> goes
> > > over their heads. So apparently they have been largely oriented
> > > just a few.
>
> BJ, flush this out a little.  What appeals to you or this audience?

BJ: Well everyone knows that I am a perpetual Linux wanna-be.
I have no problem with the basic install. I have done it many
times. It is just everything else.

> > > BJ: There is no reason why it should be difficult to get
> > presentations
> > > from within the group. I suggest a regular round of "remedial"
> > > presentations to review common tasks that need to be done.
>
> How about this! :)
> Lets have 26 minutes of success in addition to our speaker.  Most of
> it runs
> in the background anyway.  The first 10 minutes going through setup
> wizard.
> Then we have the talk.  Followed by a follow up "Ta Da".  Then in
> July we'll
> do the backup (that's a pretty important thing to do,) and so on.
> Kinda
> like the Tool Tip thing.  Or maybe we do each time there is a new
> release.
> Fedora 7 is coming out ready for Junes meeting...

BJ: Sounds reasonable as long as the first part doesn't slow
the regular presentation from getting started. Other things I
have mentioned is setting up a dialup connection with an ISP, which
would seem to be pretty basic, and globally setting permisions, etc.

> > > BJ: Years ago I suggested a Linux-PC SIG. When people buy a
> machine
> > > with Windows (whatever), it is almost up and running from
> > the start.
> > > One simply clicks the appropriate button and follows simple
> > > directions. Not so with Ubuntu, or the other Linux
> distributions. I
> > > still think it ought to be as easy for end users to use Linux as
>
> > > Windows, but no one seems to have an interest it making it
> > so. I would
> > > love to do it, if I knew how, but I don't.
> > >
> > > Bob Jaffray
> > >

> > Well Bob as this
> (http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowsoem.shtml)
> > artical points out linux is easier to install in many cases
> > then windows.

BJ: Mike, the problem is not "installing" but setting things
up after the install! I agree that Linux _is_ easier to install
in many cases. But people generally do not have to face this.
They get a computer with Windows already installed and
are handed (not a Windows install set but) a set of
Restore CDs. So, of course, in most cases Linux is
not going to be that easy.

Bob Jaffray