[SGVLUG] Save net radio [semi-OT -- related to my podcasting discussion...]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon May 14 13:35:24 PDT 2007

http://www.savenetradio.org/

During my talk about podcasting, I mentioned a bit about royalty fees
and legislation due to go into effect with a RETROACTIVE fee schedule
(all the way back to january of 2006! -- that's a year and a half of
increase fees due all at once!)

The group referenced by the link has put together a petition on the
subject, details of course are on their site.

I'll admit I'm not entirely clear on the issue, but the more I read
about it, the more it seems directed to /streaming/ broadcasts of music
(in particular)  I'm not sure where a /podcast/ falls within the
spectrum of "internet radio" -- sure, you *could* play it "as a stream"
by virtue of the fact your media player will open the URL "as a file"
and read/play it from there.  But for podcasts in particular, the usual
mode is to download the entire file, and once downloaded, nothing really
"stops" you from redistributing the file (and, in some cases, you might
actually be encouraged to do so)

Tom Emerson
818-977-8828