[SGVLUG] Speaker? (was sgvlug.org timing out)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri May 4 12:28:31 PDT 2007

HMMM... this will probably branch a little further, but there is a
"dirty little secret" among laptop manufacturers: there are only a
handful of /actual/ manufacturers (called "ODM's") who sell "base model"
boxes to "OEM's" who place a processor, memory, and similar items into
the box and sell it as a "Dell" or "Compaq" or ...

The currently-out-of-stock "Serval", for instance
(http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/1_12) looks suspiciously similar to
the one I'm actually considering:
http://powernotebooks.com/specs/images/l8-15/

The underlying "box" is made by a company called "Compal", and the model
number is "HEL80".  Powernotebooks themselves sells ANOTHER laptop,
branded as a "Sager", which is (you guessed it) a Compal HEL80!
(Although an "as similar as possible" configuration between the
powernotebooks L 8:15 and the Sager NP2080 is slightly higher for the
sager...)

In any case, if the "serval" is indeed the Compal Hel80, then this is
"good news" for me as PN's price is a bit lower (while I value the
effort to pre-install linux, I use a different distro, so the fact that
Ubuntu is the only thing they offer doesn't help me much -- what DOES
help is, as you point out, the fact that they HAVE determined this is a
"very compatible" laptop)  [there is also the fact that PN will let me
configure it a little more -- higher res graphics, bigger disk, etc.,
and STILL be lower in price...]