[SGVLUG] Should this LUG become a GLUG (GNU/Linux Users Group)?

serross at ix.netcom.com serross at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 20 06:26:46 PST 2007

>On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 03:53:03AM -0700, Jeff Carlson wrote:
>> David Lawyer wrote:
>> > Anyway, I've been convinced by Stallman's arguments that it wouldn't
>> > be a bad idea to become a GNU/Linux Users Group.  In other words, a
>> > GLUG instead of a LUG.
>>
>> Fortunately (at least for RMS), I have heard dumber ideas.  So I can't
>> honestly say this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  It's up there,
>> though.
>>
>> As many of you know, I participate in a lot of LUGs here in Southern
>> California.  I don't know if this particular group has any sort of
>> charter or mandate to only support Linux or excuse me, GNU/Linux, but
>> most of the LUGs actually have a lot broader vision than that.
>
>Well "GNU/Linux" is aka "Linux" so adding "GNU" doesn't add any
>restriction to supporting other unix-like operating systems.  It's to

No it doesn't "restrict" BUT, the naming implys a restriction to just "GNU".
Just because it isn't free doesn't make it bad. If all companies like your and mine only gave out their services for free, they wouldn't be in business very long (unless the employees paid their own compensation and infostructure costs). I think the name should stay as it is.

Stephen