[SGVLUG] laptop LoJack

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jun 22 10:45:52 PDT 2007

-----Original Message----- Of Shang-Lin Eileen Chen
This article at http://conigs.com/static/misc/laptop.html is also
interesting. Extend the tracking script further by getting root access
to the stolen laptop.
=======================

Since the article was aimed primarily at Mac's, I take it physical
removal of the HD is a difficult undertaking?  I know this to be true of
older laptops, but more recent ones all it takes is a screwdriver to
release the HD bay/cover and then it pops right out.

In any case, there is an interesting comment raised here -- what legal
ramifications are there to spying on the thief?  In other words, if he
then uses your laptop to post it for sale "on e-bay", and you capture
his e-bay login / paypal account / etc., could he sue you?  [the author
believes this to be the case, I feel it /should/ be highly defensible
for you to capture this information (but only /marginally/ defensible to
then utilize it for nefarious purposes, but see below...) after all, it
is YOUR computer he is using, and illegally at that I might add.  I know
this will get Dustin on a rant again, but our state has this insane
concept that lawbreakers have some rights, even though they are in
flagrant disregard of the rights of others...]

OK, now for the truly odd thought of the thread: as I mentioned/inferred
above, say you do manage to capture the thief's paypal or other online
financial information/login.  Would it be ethical (or defensible) to use
that to SEND YOU the cost of the laptop, and in turn you
e-mail/snail-mail an INVOICE for the sale of the laptop to the thief?
(and, presumably, cease-and-desist with the root access after that point
-- heck, you might even go so far as to create his own user account,
backup-and-purge the "other" user accounts, and send him his login
credentials so he doesn't have to use "guest" anymore -- talk about
customer service!)