[SGVLUG] laptop LoJack

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Fri Jun 22 10:29:36 PDT 2007

Shang-Lin Eileen Chen wrote:

>     Has anyone done anything similar?
>     Interesting idea.
>

> I like this dyndns method. I've thought about writing a cron script on
> my laptop that sends its IP address to my server periodically, but was
> stuck on how to cleanly extract a local, possibly dynamic IP address.
> The obvious solution, other than using dyndns or SETI at Home, is to have
> the laptop connect to a script on the server. Duh!
>
> This article at http://conigs.com/static/misc/laptop.html is also
> interesting. Extend the tracking script further by getting root access
> to the stolen laptop.

If my laptop was stolen, and the person who stole it doesn't understand
linux or can't crack my password (which is most likely the case), then
chances are, they'll simply reformat the hdd and install windows, thus
making any attempt at using linux software-based lojack systems, futile.

One could argue that placing a lojack ping script that runs during the
boot process, may work, but that's a 50/50 chance that it's connected to
the net when they 1st boot it and realize they need to format it because
they don't know linux.

If you're running windows, and you have a web site, you can perhaps
simply program a crafty 'homepage' for your browser (on your web site),
that logs your ip/hostname/date/etc. to a db (assuming you're using LAMP
or something), and redirects you to an actual home page (i.e. google.com).

--
Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA

sean at seanodonnell.com
http://seanodonnell.com

PGP Public Key ID: 0xF57FB9E5
PGP Public Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu

*The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
reason for existing.*