[SGVLUG] laptop memory

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:26:34 PDT 2007

Does anyone know if PC3200 speed memory will or will not work in a
laptop that currently has PC2700?

While looking around at the Pomona computer show last weekend, I
spotted a vendor selling laptop memory for a good price.  I had the
specs from Crucial and the only thing that didn't match was the speed
- PC3200 vs PC2700.  It said unbuffered CL2.5 which matched.  I didn't
have my laptop with me but I figured I'd give it a try since I thought
the memory speed would be backwards compatible.  It fits fine in
either socket but it won't post.  The power light comes on but the
screen stays dark.   Pop in my original in either socket and it works
fine.  With no memory the machine beeps.  I ran into something similar
with a desktop - the chipset just didn't like the memory I was trying
to use.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M35X series.  Crucial recommends 200-pin
SODIMM, DDR PC2700 CL2.5 unbuffered, non-ecc, DDR333 2.5v 64Meg x 64.
 Specifically CT434031
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=50E32C4DA5CA7304

The module I bought is made by Apacer - 512MB UNB PC3200 CL2.5.  don't
know the voltage or architecture.  P/N: 78.92041.150   I can't find
any info on this thing.

I called the vendor and they don't have any PC2700 so I got an RMA
number but they are way out in Santa Ana so I could either mail it
back to them or drive out there but I figured I'd check here if anyone
was interested and we could try it out at the next meeting.   $29 OBO.
 Let me know if you are interested otherwise I'll send it back to
them.

claude