[SGVLUG] Ipod on Linux

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jun 4 11:00:14 PDT 2007

Over the weekend I tried out gtkpod again -- I'm happy to report it
"doesn't screw up the settings" [playlists] like Amarok does/did.

I also found out that KDE has a form of "integrated" support for ipods
(called "kpod", I think) that is still in development, but it lets you
"browse" the ipod as a mounted drive (and has a couple of other
"features" built in)

Another alternative to consider is "Crossover" from Codeweavers -- this
is a fork/variant of Wine that (essentially) has commercial support.
One of their claims-to-fame is that it will let you run iTunes from
within Linux, and while that is a true statement, the version that they
support is 4.something (iTunes is up to 7.2 as of this morning)  I have
yet to try this with my iPod -- this I *know* will screw things up
[iTunes, in particular, is a little weird -- if you connect your iPod to
multiple computers w/iTunes, each copy of iTunes will overwrite what's
on your iPod with it's own database of files]