[SGVLUG] wireless problems

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jun 4 10:40:50 PDT 2007

I had a similar problem recently -- a network which I had previously
authenticated with "stopped working" -- tried everything, or so I
thought, even some of the more obscure settings.  Over the weekend,
however, I had another opportunity to work on it, and managed to make it
work again -- it seems I needed to select "shared key" instead of the
default when connecting to a "secured" network.

The symptom was that I would seemingly "connect", but I wouldn't get an
address allocated from the DHCP server.  Ultimately, I suspect that
while I had the passphrase correct, but I was using the "other" form of
secured network connections (sorry, can't remember it offhand), I wasn't
actually connecting like I thought I was.