[SGVLUG] Today's news brings a wide grin

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Wed Jul 25 10:16:28 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 03:54:05PM -0700, Miguel Hernandez wrote:

>    But  they're  still  costing roughly $175 to make? I've been following
>    this  project since last Feb. & I recall reading that once they got to
>    this milestone in orders, it was actually going to cost closer to $100
>    per  laptop  (which would mean more kids w/laptops).

I believe for a long time they have said that the first ones would cost
more--$100 was an ambitious goal that would require a lot of time to
achieve enough volume.  They may have initially hoped to hit $100 with
the first batch, but I think that turned out to be impossible.

Dustin

--
    "Intolerance?  The *truth* is intolerant." -- le Faux

The small binary attachment on every message I send is my PGP digital
signature, not a virus.  If you don't know what that is, you can ignore it.
If you do, my keyserver is pgp.mit.edu.