[SGVLUG] FileSystem Limitations?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:48:47 PDT 2007

What partition type did you use?    I installed Linux on my computer
here at work (it originally came with winXP) and I created an extra
FAT32 partition so I can transfer files between the two OS's.   I used
0x0b for "W95 FAT32" but you could also use 0x0c for LBA.  Perhaps you
used 0x1b or 0x1c which would make it hidden?  What tool did you use?
I use fdisk.

Also, for windoze, you might need to make sure you are using a primary
partition (partition number 1-4) instead of a logical partition on the
extended partition (partition #5 or greater).

Here's part of the output from fdisk -l /dev/sda:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1               1           6       48163+  de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2   *           7        3139    25165822+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3            3140        8368    42001942+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda4            8369       30394   176923845    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            8369        8890     4192933+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6            8891       10978    16771828+  83  Linux

According to wikipedia, the filesystem limit for FAT32 is 8 TB with a
max file size of 4 GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vfat

btw, what's with the ballistic missile address or are you into geocaching?