[SGVLUG] Cheap VPS or Dedicated Hosting?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Jan 17 23:58:10 PST 2007

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions for a cheap, fast, and
reliable Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server hosting plan?

I've been looking on sites like cheaphostingdirectory.com to find links
to different hosting companies, and so far the best deal I've found is
from gate.com.

- ---

http://www.gate.com/vps/vpsu100.htm

Monthly Rate	$29.95/mo.
Annual Pre-pay Price	$299.50/yr.
Setup Fee	$0.00 (free until 01/31/07)
Fedora Core 4
Disk Space	25GB
Data Transfer	1000GB
Guaranteed RAM	256MB
Websites/Domain Names	10
Mailboxes	Unlimited

- ---

I'll probably have to see if they can give me more memory, but the rest
should be fine. The next step-up is $49.99/mo, which is not within my
budget.

I currently have a reseller account at kionic.com, and although their
customer support has always been great, they don't have any plans that
fit my budget either, and I cannot do what I need to do with the
reseller account since it's on a shared server w/ limited access (jail
shell, no root, and no more cvs access, poop!).

If I switch to Gate, I'll save $140/year, and have more flexibility.

I was just curious if anyone knew of any better deals around, as I've
never heard of Gate, and not sure how reliable they are, or how long
they've been around, although from the looks of archive.org, they've
been around for quite some time.

Any suggestions?

- --

Sean O'Donnell