[SGVLUG] Edubuntu vs. "just ubuntu"

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Jan 17 16:24:15 PST 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of Alex Roston
>
> I put it on my kid's computer. It's wonderful. But don't use
> the nightly build. Just download the current stable.

I'm having trouble finding the "stable" version...

Per the "download" page, you have two basic choices

  6.10, the newest release
  6.06 "LTS"

The link you finally arrive at is
http://releases.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/6.10/
Or
http://releases.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/dapper/  (6.06.1 LTS)

There is also a link entitled "DVD version", which goes to
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/dvd/current/
And indicates it is 7.04 [feisty] "daily build"

Backing up the tree to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com, I see there are
various paths you can choose:

  -- the "daily" version (including the "live" variant)
  -- the DVD version [more in a moment]
  -- sub-versions: edubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, and ubuntu-server
  -- each of these AND the "top level" directory allow you to choose a
"release", which in turn gets you to
     -- a specifically numbered version
     -- a "named" version

The "DVD" pathway (from the root or each variant version) seems to take
you to a 7.04 "daily build" version (as either a relatively current date
or the word "current" specifically)

I believe I'd rather get the DVD version as I'm unsure of the
"broadband" capabilities of the recipient [umm, 6 years old, remember?]
but these seem to only be the "daily" build -- have I overlooked a link
to a "stable" DVD version?