[SGVLUG] installing router

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:14:45 PST 2007

On 1/15/07, qun li <liquncc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's about time to go DSL.
> I have one box running win98se and another running
> Redhat Fedora 3. Both do not
> have a wireless card. Questions:
>
> 1. I am thinking of installing a wireless router but
> use wire connection for now. Can I turn off the
> wireless feature while I only use wire? What kind of
> wire do I need connecting the pc to the router? Which
> router would you recommend? I saw a Linksys wireless
> router at Best Buy for 49.95 but don't know if that is
> right for my situation.

>From your description, any wireless router that includes a switch with
at least 2 ports would be sufficient though more would allow
expansion.  You will be able to use standard ethernet cables with RJ45
connectors.  I assume you have ethernet ports on your PCs.  I would
definitely recommend disabling the wireless portion when not needed.
I'm partial to Netgear but have also use Linksys. For the most part,
any brand/model will work.  If you have a specific model in mind let
us know.

> 2. Can I test the router set up with dial up? (
> Connecting the PCs to the router and dial up with one
> PC).

Once you've configured your PC's for DHCP, simply plugging everything
in should be sufficient.  They should both be able to access the
router config screen via a web browser.  If you enable file sharing
that should work as well.  If you want to test sharing the internet
connection via dialup, that is possible but will require a more
complicated setup on the PC which will be dialing out.  It's been a
while since I've played with win98 so I'd think you might get more
help here setting up the linux box that way.   Probably best to test
router with DSL (or Cable).

In fact, when you have DSL installed, the installer will probably
insist on connecting to your windows box and then you'll be on your
own to reconfigure for the router.  Oh wait, that's how it was 10
years ago.  Actually, if you get DSL now, it might even include a
wireless router with a built-in switch with at least 4 ports.  That's
how my sister got her's a few years ago.  It was a self-install, no
tech came to visit.  We just plugged everything in, followed the
directions for the windows box and it just worked.  Adding the linux
box should be just as easy.  Her install also included an ethernet
card for her PC.

> 3. What is the impact on health leaving the wireless
> transmitter on 24/7? And for that matter does the flat
> terminal have a less health hazard than the CRT
> terminal?

I have no data.   If you are worried, then don't sleep with the
wireless router near your head.  You'd get better range by placing it
higher anyway so the radio waves won't have to go through as much
furniture, bodies, etc.

claude