[SGVLUG] installing router

qun li liquncc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 08:56:53 PST 2007

It's about time to go DSL.
I have one box running win98se and another running
Redhat Fedora 3. Both do not
have a wireless card. Questions:

1. I am thinking of installing a wireless router but
use wire connection for now. Can I turn off the
wireless feature while I only use wire? What kind of
wire do I need connecting the pc to the router? Which
router would you recommend? I saw a Linksys wireless
router at Best Buy for 49.95 but don't know if that is
right for my situation.

2. Can I test the router set up with dial up? (
Connecting the PCs to the router and dial up with one
PC).

3. What is the impact on health leaving the wireless
transmitter on 24/7? And for that matter does the flat
terminal have a less health hazard than the CRT
terminal?