[SGVLUG] [even further] Off-topic - electical jokes [was home guerrilla solar systems]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Feb 20 11:54:21 PST 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of Michael Proctor-Smith
> On 2/20/07, Emerson, Tom (*IC) <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
[...]
> > After all, consider "AC", or "Alternating Current" ...
> > -- this is the biggest "scam" of them all (according to at
> least one website -- reference below)
[...]
> > [http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/humor.htm -- scroll down to or search
> > for "some 'facts' about electricity"]

> I am not going to read the site but I hope you are kidding
> the power company charges you for the number of electrons
> that stay in you house not the enter, just so no one thinks
> that the joke is true.

Ummm... You did see the word "humor" was part of the URL, right?  Did I
forget to add some requisuite "smileys" to point out this was, in fact,
a joke?

Actually, I noticed this was attributed to Dave Barry, which is probably
why I remember reading it before.  Unfortunately, the Miami Herald's
archive search engine doesn't seem to handle searching for "just dave
barry articles" too well, but google shows many many sites where this
has proliferated.  Granted, that isn't an automatic assertion -- look at
the many "articles" attributed to George Carlin that are, in fact, Bill
Malher's (?) quotes (from his "politically incorrect" show)

HOWEVER... This is in fact in the book "Bad Habits", on page 225 -- the
google search of "dave barry what is electricity" returns a link that
previews the book; scroll towards the bottom and you'll find it...