[SGVLUG] need 25 old hardrives.

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Thu Feb 8 18:47:23 PST 2007

John E. Kreznar wrote:
> Don Saxton <dsaxton at pacbell.net> writes:
>
>> educatethechildren.com puts recycled  equipment in the hands of
>> elementary schools in need.  They have some computers missing harddrives...
>
>> If you can donate hard drives or equipment, please let me know.
>
> Is there any assurance that they will not be used to distribute
> cigarettes^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H proprietary software to the children?

As much as I'm against proprietary software, I'm 100% supportive of
(economically lower-middle/lower class) children getting exposure to
ANY/ALL forms of computing, regardless of legalities.

Although I'd prefer to see them learning/using OSS, in the end... it's
unethical political decisions that keep these kids from getting the
education and academic resources they need.

As someone who grew-up with a vast 'lack-of' opportunity due to
financial dispositions growing up, dropped out of high school due to
lack of intellectual stimulation, jumped on the Internet and taught
himself enough about programming and computers to make a living out of
it... I'd say that these kids NEED computers MORE than they need this
fragmented public education system, or people (who could help them)
deciding not to help them over some bitter political (oss vs. prop) strife.

I started with windows, and eventually found my way /home. I'm sure they
will too, but if you don't get them on a computer, they'll probably
continue to be on the streets causing/getting-into trouble, rather than
challenging their minds.

I'd much rather donate my equipment to an organization that will put it
to THAT type of use, than to some 'disposal/recycle' heap.

I just wish I had more/better hardware to donate for that purpose! =(

- --

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA

sean at seanodonnell.com
http://seanodonnell.com

PGP Public Key ID: 0xF57FB9E5
PGP Public Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is
true that most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill