[SGVLUG] Slow-to-Boot: Why does it try "resume"

Matt Wette matt.wette at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 18:42:57 PST 2007

David Lawyer wrote:
> I run Debain on a Pentium I PC desktop.  The time it takes to boot has
> gone up by a factor of 4 over the past few years and I want that
> fixed.  I decided to work on one delay at a time and filed a bug
> report with Debian but they stopped trying to send me email since
> whoever responded from Debian has an ISP that condones spam so email
> to me was blocked by my ISP.  I recently submited another bug report
> but Debian claimed that it was an "unknown package" although it was the
> linux-image-2.6.17-2-486 package.
> 			David Lawyer
> Here's what I reported (edited).  Any ideas on what "manual resume" is
> doing and why.  Do you get this same message id dmesg?

> cat /sys/power/resume results in 22:67 which is hdd3, the swap
> partition on my "backup" drive.  Apparently the image being restored
> comes from there and it happens just after hdd3 prints in the dmesg
> output.  Yet I don't see S1SUSPEND on hdd3 which is the SWSUSP_SIG
> (signature).

My guess is that the kernel needs to check for a suspend to see if one
happened at all.  Do you want to use suspend/resume?  If not did you try
using the "noresume" kernel boot argument?  It might be worthwhile just
to see if that is causing issues.  Also, there is a "resume=" argument
to specify the partition for suspend/resume.  Just some first thoughts.

matt