[SGVLUG] Fw: Laptop computer - do you know anything about it?

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:07:47 PST 2007

Charles N Wyble wrote:
> DYN: Jim Workman wrote:
>>>
>>> Is LULA still alive?
>>
>> The mail list is alive. (You may need to resubscribe.)  Meetings are
>> comatose.
>
> I am on the mailing list. All 3 of them. I saw one message in the past
> month. On the biz list as a job post. So I am not sure how "alive"
> that is. :) But so be it.
I used to manage the mail lists. We lost the machine that had them. Due
to complications with our arrangement for that machine, we've never been
able to reconstitute the mailing list membership. We still don't have
the DNS set up properly. Some people have been "found" and added to a
list, but as you can imagine this massive outage did a lot to kill it.
I've talked with a few people about reviving the group, but that is a
2008 project for me.
>>> After Clay... what's the word I am looking for here? Left it in the
>>> lurch?
>>
>> Clay led the group for many years.  I don't see how he can be faulted
>> for abdicating when higher priorities demanded his time.
>
> Well....
>
> who took over group leadership after he left? When did meetings go
> comatose? Was a clean handover executed?
No. LULA in general had no formal structure. Clay was "elected" at one
point, but AFAIK noone ran against him. Running a user group is a royal
PITA, and I think we were all used to Clay doing it all for us for so
long. On top of that the group had kind of been bouncing around from one
meeting place to another, and losing a lot of people in the process.
> As for using the word abdicating here.... I suppose that is one way to
> look at it.
He quit. You can question his motives for doing so, but frankly I
suspect even Clay would agree that he'd been carrying the burden longer
than he should have. He may not have always done the best thing for the
group, but I'm sure if someone who was really willing to volunteer the
necessary time and energy had stepped up with alternative ideas, it
wouldn't have been a problem.

--Chris