[SGVLUG] New kernel 2.6.21 supports my video card

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Aug 3 23:37:14 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:18:26PM -0700, John  Jefferson Lowry IV wrote:
> Isnzt there supposed to an auto-balancer for IRQs?

Yes but that's for the PCI bus where IRQ's may be shared.  My PC has
both a PCI bus and an old ISA bus where interrupts may not be shared
nor may the same interrupt be used on the PCI and ISA busses.  On the
ISA bus one may have cards where the IRQs are set by jumpers.  I set
them to avoid conflicts but the Linux driver for my sound card changes
the IRQ from what I set, resulting in a conflict.  This is a card
where proprietary software (and not standard ISAPNP software) can
override IRQs set by jumpers.  Perhaps the reason why the Linux driver
can't deal with the IRQs is that it doesn't know this code used to set
the IRQs in the hardware, but it's doing something to change the IRQ
from what I've set by jumpers to what is called the default on the
Internet: IRQ=5.  Anyway, the Debian maintainer is supposedly looking
into it.  If the software can't be fixed, at least it should be
documented regarding the IRQ behavior.

			David Lawyer