[SGVLUG] USB boot from older bios

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Mon Apr 30 13:34:36 PDT 2007

Hello all,

(little bit of a long read)

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on how to boot off a USB jump
drive on an older motherboard (from 2000). I looked through the boot
device choices, and didn't find one that said USB.

There was, however, a choice to boot from an "internal device" ?

The motherboard is an Asus K7V, circa 2000, and has built in usb ports...

The idea is that I put the debian etch netinstall ISO on a 1Gb jump drive,
make the jump drive bootable (still got to figure out that, too) and would
like to upgrade off the USB drive to avoid burning a use once CDROM.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Oh, and all this is because I did something wrong and hosed my system when
I tried an in-place upgrade via "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". My system
still can boot up as debian etch-ish, running 2.4.31, but no Xwindows or
network. I screwed it up quite well.

If I could figure out how to simply start the installer program from the
mounted USB drive after the PC boots up Etch (suggestions welcome), that
would be great too.

Thanka in advance.

Me
--