[SGVLUG] Future Cool Tools topics

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat Apr 14 15:19:49 PDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:49:34AM -0700, Matthew Gallizzi wrote:
> I'd be interested in bash as a full length presentation. I think starting
> from the ground up to advanced would be good. Every good Linux administrator
> has good bash (or perl) scripting knowledge for writing quick scripts on the
> fly.  Bash++ for me. Maybe we could all throw some real world examples and
> use bash to tackle the problem, or something. I know learning something and
> then being able to apply it isn't always easy. Maybe, writing a script that
> writes the output of ps aaauuuxxx to a file, as well as iostat, and also
> sends me an SMS to my cell phone. :)

Since I haven't been attending meetings, I shouldn't have any say in
the matter.  But teaching shell programming is a big topic and is
better done at ones own pace using a textbook or the free docs on the
internet.  So I think that economic-political issues might be of
interest like the future of Linux on the desktop and servers including
the past history and estimated market share of Linux for both the
desktop and servers.

Right now I'm working on two Linux projects: Revival of the LinuxDoc
markup format which is sgml.  Trying, without success yet, to recruit
people to help the Linux Documentation Project.  I'm toying with the
idea of using VolunteerSearch (a website) to recruit volunteers.  For
this we need to register with the IRS and get what's called an EIN
number but apparently don't need to incorporate.  Good documentation
is a major problem with Linux.  But my main interest is still energy
efficiency in transportation that you'll find on my website:
www.lafn.org/~dave..

			David Lawyer