[SGVLUG] Off-topic - for Tom - plug-in car that can power yourhouse

Jeremy Leader jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 13 09:46:00 PDT 2007

Tom, my impression was that the "100mpg" figure was an average (assuming some
unspecified use profile).  In reality, the plugin hybrid gets infinite mpg for a
short distance (I think the article claimed 40 mile range on battery alone), and
then reverts to roughly the same mileage as a non-plugin (a little worse because
of the extra battery weight, I'd assume).

So for example, I commute 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back.  So I could just
about do my daily commute for only the cost to recharge the battery each night;
if my employer provided free outlets in the parking garage, it could cost me
even less.  If I also use the car for short errands on the weekend, I could be
saving roughly $2 to $3/day * 365 days/year or up to $1000/year.  At that rate,
it would take 10 years for the add-on to pay for itself (ignoring interest).  I
wonder if the batteries could be expected to last >3600 charge/discharge cycles?

Then again, who says gas will still be $3/gallon in 5-10 years?

--
Jeremy Leader
jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
leaderj at yahoo-inc.com (work)