[SGVLUG] LDAP or NIS migration from /etc/passwd

Michael Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Sat Apr 7 19:15:48 PDT 2007

> My problem is that I now have about 4-5 computers on my home LAN, each
> of which has about 5-7 user accounts. None of them match UIDs and GIDs,
> unless by sheer luck.
>
> I'm setting up a server machine to maintain backups for them all (using
> a strategy based on Mike Rubel's rsync write-up, BTW -- thanks!), and I
> don't want the UIDs and permissions to get all snared up.
>
> So...questions:
>
> Q#1: Do I in fact need NIS or LDAP? Or is there a simpler way to solve
> my problem?

Unless you explicitly give rsync the --numeric-ids option, it will map
usernames and passwords.  So, for example, even if user terry has uid 501
one machine and uid 2523 on another, they will both be written to the same
user account (terry) on the server.

So one option is to be lazy and not worry about it. :)

-mike