[SGVLUG] Asterisk

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Fri Sep 29 15:27:59 PDT 2006

SIP is much like Active FTP, you need to open a range of ports to your
asterisk server, and tell asterisk to use that port range.  check
/etc/asterisk/rtp.conf

Before you buy grandstream, let me suggest a low-end linksys phone.  You
will not regret it, and grandstream is quite bad in its reliability,
sound quality and quality of firmware releases.  check voip-info.org for
grandstream for a long list of bugs.  I especially like the SPA-941 and
SPA-942, but the low-end SPA-901 is nice as well.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Linksys
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Grandstream

I have had mixed success using QoS traffic control on the Debian 2.6.8
kernel with the two scripts linked below (with surprisingly better
results with CBQ than HTB).  I would get some degraded sound quality
unless I reserved a portion of bandwidth for VoIP instead of allowing
the CBQ or HTB priority to work automatically.  There are of course a
few more things I need to try, so don't think it can't be done.  It is
probably a good idea to have a dedicated connection used for voip if
you're using consumer level connections like DSL or Cable.

http://mikefedyk.com/wondershaper-pkt-size-classes
http://mikefedyk.com/wondershaper-pkt-size-classes-htb

I have had good service with voxee, bad with teliax and terrible with
terravon.  You should have multiple outgoing providers in case something
happens, and have a rock solid incoming provider.  Unfortunately, I
haven't found a provider that is more reliable than my vonage or POTS
line at my house.  Admittedly I haven't been looking recently, but that
is where I'm at now.

Hope this helps.

Mike