[SGVLUG] Fwd: UUASC-LA: How to Run a Major User Group

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Thu Sep 28 09:12:49 PDT 2006

I thought this might be of interest.

Dustin

----- Forwarded message from Hershel Remer <unixrabbi at rabbs.com> -----

From: "Hershel Remer" <unixrabbi at rabbs.com>
Subject: UUASC-LA October 2006 Program
To: uuasc-announce at uuasc.org
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:39:36 -0700 (PDT)

                  UUASC-LA
Unix Users Association of Southern California
          Los Angeles County Chapter
             October 2006 Meeting

        How to Run a Major User Group

          Thursday, Oct. 5, 7-9 pm

            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
        222 N. Sepulveda in El Segundo
         10th Floor -- Martinique Room

UUASC has enjoyed tremendous success and unless you've been sleeping under a
rock ever since Y2K, you've noticed that the Orange County chapter went from
certain bankruptcy to quickly becoming the darling of Wall Street, and the Los
Angeles County chapter has gone from being a fledgling to capturing the top
spot amongst all area user group meetings -- a position we have proudly held
for the past several years. Now it is time to reflect on our accomplishments.

At the October meeting of UUASC-LA, President Hershel Remer will lead a
program designed to share the secrets to UUASC's success with other area user
groups. We hope to see the room packed with representatives from every leading
LUG and organization known to mankind.

If you have ever thought about volunteering for a leadership position within
an existing organization or perhaps you're even considering forming your own
group, this meeting is a must! Come and learn from Hershel's experience in
booking top-notch speakers who present 24 unique topics every year at the two
UUASC monthly chapter meetings.

Ask questions about how to secure meeting venues and corporate sponsors while
working on minimal or no budget at all. Learn what goes on behind the scenes
in running a group, leading the members, and building membership. You won't
find such a class available anywhere else, and we're providing it absolutely
free! In addition, Hershel may call upon other current and former members of
UUASC leadership to offer their insights and field your questions.

Hershel, a.k.a. the Unix Rabbi, joined UUASC back in 1996 and helped start the
LA chapter in 2000, taking on the role of chapter program director. In 2004,
he was elected UUASC president and now handles the program duties for both
chapters. In addition, he moderates the group's jobs email list. This will
mark the Unix Rabbi's first speaking engagement in the LA chapter and first in
UUASC since February 1999. Hershel led a couple of BoFs at the USENIX '05
Technical Conference. In addition, "Rabbs" as he likes to be called, is a
professional comedian, so even if the topic sounds boring, chances are he'll
make you laugh at some point.

After the meeting, you are invited to mingle with many of the chapter members
at UUASC-LA's favorite dining and drinking spot. Details will be presented at
the meeting.

WARNING: People may take photographs of UUASC-LA meetings and social events.
If someone is absolutely opposed to having his or her photograph taken, that
person needs to please speak with the photographer.

Warning to photographers: You must have a person's permission to post
photographs in any public manner.

Directions:

>From the South via Interstate 405:

Exit at El Segundo Blvd. Turn left and proceed approximately three miles to
the intersection of El Segundo Blvd. and Sepulveda. Turn right (Northbound),
stay in the right lane. Skip to "Northbound on Sepulveda", below.

>From the North via Interstate 405:

Exit at El Segundo Blvd. Turn left onto La Cienega Blvd. (get into the right
lane). Turn right at El Segundo Blvd and proceed approximately three miles
tothe intersection of El Segundo Blvd and Sepulveda. Turn right (Northbound),
stay in the right lane.

Northbound on Sepulveda:

You should now be proceeding nortbound, in the right lane along Sepulveda
Blvd. The signal at the next intersection (Sepulveda/Grand) is an important
landmark. The meeting venue is in the Oracle building (222 Sepulveda) on the
Southeast corner, just before the intersection, on the right. The Free Parking
is *across* the intersection, in the Northeast corner on the right.

Parking:

Continue northbound across the intersection, turn into the first driveway on
the right, known as the LAX Business Park. Go through the raised gates, turn
right, find  a parking space close to the traffic signal.

Building:

Short stairs lead from the raised parking lot to the sidewalk. Walk across the
intersection heading south. The UUASC meeting venue (Sun Microsystems office)
is in the "Oracle" building, closest to the southeast corner of the
Sepulveda/Grand intersection. Entrances are located on the Oracle building's
North and South sides. However, after business hours, the North side is
closed; go to the South entrance.  If the doors are locked here, the security
guard can open it; politely knock on the door to get their attention.

Enter and sign in, inform the guard that you want to go to the Sun
Microsystems offices on the 10th floor. That means the elevators to the right,
and the guard will likely need to activate the elevator for you. The UUASC
meeting is in Sun's offices on the 10th floor.

For any questions on how to get there, call 310-607-2400. However, that number
won't be available after business hours (5:30). After that time, call
310-607-2560.

UUASC wants to especially thank member Matt Ingenthron of Sun for his
excellent hospitality.  And, UUASC wants to thank our host, Sun Microsystems,
for the continued support of our meetings.

UUASC is for all persons using UNIX either personally or professionally, or
interested in learning more about UNIX. We recognize all varieties of UNIX,
including (without prejudice) SCO, Linux, SVr4, Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, and BSD.
This is a good place to meet others with similar interests and broaden your
skills and knowledge.

There are two UUASC chapters serving Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Meeting
locations for each chapter are detailed at our web site, http://www.uuasc.org.
Please visit our web site.

There are no dues or other membership requirements. More than 300 persons
receive our monthly meeting announcements. Meeting attendance varies to as
high as 75. Hershel Remer serves as UUASC president and leads a team of
volunteers who together manage the club. More volunteers are always needed.

Los Angeles County Chapter meetings are normally held the first Thursday of
each month from 7 to 9 pm ( or whenever we feel like stopping ). Generally,
meetings include a technical presentation on a hardware or software topic of
current interest to the UNIX community and a round-table discussion of current
topics of interest to the group. UUASC-LA needs future topic suggestions (and
volunteers)!!