[SGVLUG] Disabling LILO

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:41:59 PDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Lisa Moon <lisadmoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am having a problem installing a new 100 gig Maxtor hard drive in my
> computer.  I currently have a partitioned hard drive consisting of part
> Linux, part Windows XP Pro.  I want to copy the contents (except Linux) of
> my old 30 gig Maxtor hard drive to my new 100 gig hard drive, but the
> installation software that came with the new hard drive is complaining about
> LILO and it is advising me to disable and/or remove LILO.  Is diabling LILO
> advisable (since I'm not sure if I need the boot loader in order to boot
> Windows), and if so, how do I go about doing that?  I am a beginner to
> Linux, so a simple answer with as few technical directions as possible would
> be appreciated.

Installation of what software?  Windoze always complains about other
boot loaders so I let it wipe it out and as long as you have a linux
install CD you can reinstall LILO afterwards.  What I generally do is
use linux to create the partitions for itself, swap, windoze ntfs and
a data partition using FAT, install windoze, then go back and install
linux and LILO.

I still use Mandrake and when you boot the CD, there's a rescue option
that will let you reinstall LILO.  basically you boot into single user
mode, mount /, do a chroot and run lilo.

 sorry, i've got a meeting to prepare for so if you need specifics,
ask and i'm sure someone can help.

claude