[SGVLUG] Disabling LILO

Lisa Moon lisadmoon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 13:10:51 PDT 2006

I am having a problem installing a new 100 gig Maxtor hard drive in my computer.  I currently have a partitioned hard drive consisting of part Linux, part Windows XP Pro.  I want to copy the contents (except Linux) of my old 30 gig Maxtor hard drive to my new 100 gig hard drive, but the installation software that came with the new hard drive is complaining about LILO and it is advising me to disable and/or remove LILO.  Is diabling LILO advisable (since I'm not sure if I need the boot loader in order to boot Windows), and if so, how do I go about doing that?  I am a beginner to Linux, so a simple answer with as few technical directions as possible would be appreciated.