[SGVLUG] linux w/o broadband

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:10:19 PDT 2006

Can anyone recommend a linux distro that doesn't require broadband
access to complete the installation?

One of they guys here at work will be traveling overseas for vacation
and is bringing a system for a relative who is a CS major.  Apparently
she's been using a Pentium 1 so she just needs hardware, no software
requests.  I suggested Linux but wasn't sure what distro to recommend.

I understand that she only has dialup access so I think she'd prefer a
distro that has everything on cd's.  I'm used to a Mandrake distro
which consists of 3 to 5 cd's yet from what i can tell at the ubuntu
site, there's only a single live CD.  Does that mean it requires
internet access to download additional packages?

The HP sales droid recommended the latest RHE but I didn't see the
point in paying for support for something she may not use.  I would
have recommended Mandriva but they are currently doing release
candidates for the new 2007 edition.   For now I'd like to recommend a
good live distro so she can at least try things then she can either
order a full distro herself or request that my coworker send her
something when he gets back.

claude